Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Haricots Verts with Shallots

Last week I stopped off at Trader Joe's on my walk home to get a few things I needed for dinner. I saw this huge package of haricots verts (French-style green beans), and I couldn't help but get them. As soon as I got home I Googled "haricot vert recipes" (at this time not completely sure of the plural form) and found this awesome one on Smitten Kitchen. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of the ingredients except the haricots verts and butter - no problem, it was still fantastic!

The next day I got the other ingredients and made the dish exactly as the recipe states, and it was incredible - I love this recipe so much. The shallots cooked in butter are amazing, and I love the slight crunch of the beans. These are the perfect side dish - quick, healthy, and delicious. I highly recommend the cooking technique even if you don't use the shallots, tomatoes, and lemon - the beans turn out perfect. I'm so happy to add this to my side dish repertoire :)

Update: I've submitted this entry to the Side Dish Showdown hosted by Reeni of Cinnamon Spice & Everything nice!

Side Dish Showdown Blogger Event



Haricots Verts with Shallots

Ingredients:
1/2 pound haricots verts, trimmed
2 teaspoon butter
1 small shallot, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons diced tomato
Wedge of lemon

Directions:
1. Cook beans in boiling, salted water for 3 1/2 minutes. Quickly strain and submerge into cold water to stop cooking process.

2. In the same pot that you cooked the beans, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until just translucent but not brown, 1 - 2 minutes.

3. Add the drained beans back to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.

4. Transfer beans to a serving platter, top with tomatoes, and squeeze lemon juice over the dish. Serve immediately.

12 comments:

  1. I love haricot vert. I brought some to a Thanksgiving dinner once and I've been asked to make them every year since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what haricot vert is... but it looks great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Bob, it just means 'green beans' in French, and they are a French-style bean that is thinner than traditional American green beans. I highly recommend trying them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a healthy and delicious side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors in your photo make them all the more inviting. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous looking dish! And delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've never heard of haricot verts. how fun! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sending this to my showdow Meghan! It will be a great addition to the round-up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog makeover - it looks fabulous! This sounds like such a great side dish with all those yummy shallots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good haricot verts are hard to come by in my opinion! This recipe looks amazing though...love the butter :P

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP